• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic constipation

Posted on Thu, 12 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 60, a female, 5 foot 8 inches, 117 pounds otherwise in excellent health. Symptoms I have been experiencing for 2-3 months: chronic constipation which I don't do anything about until it's been almost a week with no bowel movement...using the correct dose of dulcolax laxative causes intestinal cramps that are extremely painful which can go on intermittently for an entire day...at the same time as the cramps, I start vomiting and feeling very sick causing me to lose one to two days a week! Enemas are slightly better but have the same sick and nauseous feelings associated with them. What cold be going on?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Constipation needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. COnstipation with acute history of only 2 months should be sorted out for the cause with some work up like colonic transit studies, defecography and colonoscopy if need be. Age related bowel functions decline may also cause defecation problem. You may not be drinking dluids adequately or taking fiber adequately. Use of english toilets does not give a better reflex so try XXXXXXX toilet with squatting position if you don't have a knee problem or sitting on your knees. Preferring morning time after breakfast for defecation and staying there for 10 minutes at least.

Laxatives are not enough. You need enough fluids at least 2.2 litres in a day. 35 to 50 gram fiber at least a day . prefer vegetables and fresh fruits in the meals. Exercise most days of the week. Train your pelvic floor muscles with exercises and biofeedback pelvic relaxation techniques.

Talk to your doctor and let them decide what is best for you. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan