Suggest treatment for chest pain and shortness of breath

Posted on Thu, 26 Feb 2015 in Lupus
Question: I was diagnosed with lupus in the year 2000.
In the last few months, I have been having chest pain and worsening shortness of breath. I had an ekg at the hospital and an echocardiogram through my primary care physician that came back normal. I am being told that they don't know the cause of it. I was diagnosed with this disease by a rheumatologist years ago. Should I return to a rheumatologist? No one has told me that this was not a correct diagnosis but it is being implied that I have nothing and nothing is wrong. What should do here since I am being blamed for what I am experiencing now and receiving no help?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes , I think you need further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that your shortness of breath needs evaluation. Since your ECG and ECHO is normal there is a possibilty that it is not due to myocarditis or heart involvement due to Lupus . But they have not looked for chest involvement . A CXR - PA and if required CT chest should be done specially to rule out Interstitial lung disease which can be a common accompaniment of lupus . I suggest you to see your rheumatologist for the same plus please send me your previous reports or any other history or report you feel significant enough to be seen so that we can understand your problem better and help you out in best possible way.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist