Suggest treatment for cellulitis
if the leg is not getting worse you can give treatment a chance
cellulitis is a serious infection that requires a vigilant patient when treated at home. Since the doctor found no concerning signs during the clinical examination, I believe that he can give a chance to the antibiotics. It's too soon to see something better. He's going to need at least a couple of days under treatment before any improvement.
If he has signs of worsening or any of the following then he should visit the ER at once:
- low systolic blood pressure (less than 90mmHg)
- worsening tachycardia (increased heart rate), particularly if more than 120/minute.
- too many breaths per minute (more 30 means very serious infection)
- cognitive impairment or stupor: if he sleeps all the time and he can't wake up for more than a moment or if he mumbles or talks nonsense.
- reduced urine output: less than 500mL per day are too low.
Any new symptom or sign would be a good reason to visit the doctor again. Also, if he can't receive adequate hydration (enough fluids that is) due to his nausea and vomiting or if he can't receive the antibiotics for the same reason then hospitalization might be required.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.
XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX
Glad to help! My best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Thanks so much,
it's better if you go
so, you've got an improving general condition but a spreading redness. If I had to choose the most important parameter between the two, then his general condition would probably be it. Despite that, spreading redness is concerning and should be assessed by a doctor. Blood tests may help a lot to determine the severity of his situation. A complete blood count and C-reactive protein are useful tests for that.
When my patients state that they feel better, I usually don't ask them to visit me at once. What I've mentioned in my first answer applies in such cases.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Neck cellulitis treatment
- Homeopathic treatment for cellulitis
- Cellulitis of eyelid treatment
- Having cellulitis uti and lung infection suggest the treatment
- Vancomycin for treatment of cellulitis
- Medical treatment for cellulitis
- Suggest treatment for cellulitis on leg
- Iv treatment for cellulitis
- Is neosporin used in the treatment of cellulitis ?
- Suggest treatment for facial cellulitis following trauma to lips
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?