• question-icon

Suggest treatment for canker sores

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Yes, thank you. I have been bothered continuously with canker sores over the last 18 months. When one is about gone, another begins. Some are very large and painful. My dentist prescribed: fluocionide 0.05% gel. This helps to relieve some of the pain, if the sore is in a spot that I can treat it. Recently, they have appeared on the back of my throat. Both the dentist and PCP think they are caused by stress. Could this be a side effect to some medications I am taking? Do you have any ideas for prevention/treatment of this very bothersome problem?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like Recurrent Apthous Stomatitis/Recurrent Apthous Ulcers..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

Aa per your complain, the symptoms seems to be pointing towards Recurrent Apthous Ulcers in which there is formation of painful ulcers in mouth and in more severe case it can even happen in throat..
Stress and allergic reaction to medication are potent causes for Recurrent Ulcers while few other causes can be iron and Vitamin B12 deficiencies, acid reflux, hormonal imbalances etc..
You can take the nutritional supplements that you are already taking, the Steroid containing gel can be applied when the ulcers are present, you can also a numbing gel containing Lignocaine or Choline Salicylate or can gargle with a numbing mouthwash, also gargle with 1:1 solution of benadryl and milk of magnesia.
You can also do soda bicarb gargles and warm saline gargles..
For pain you can also take Ibuprofen or Tylenol..
You can also reduce your stress by doing meditation, breathing exercises and doing the activities of your choice and spending quality time with family and friends..

In case if you think it is due to allergic reaction consult an Allergist and get an allergic testing done to rule out whether it is allergic reaction or not for confirmation and in case if it allergic reaction to medication change of medicine can be an option..

Any further questions are welcome..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 27 hours later
Thanks you so much for your detailed response. I will try these remedies. Another question that came to me: My medications cause me to have a dry mouth. Could a dry mouth aggravate or cause canker sores? If so, what is your suggestion? Thanks, xxx
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Dry mouth can aggravate Canker Sores.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per your complain Dry mouth can aggravate Canker Sores because in the lack of saliva there is more irritation of mucosa inside mouth as well as natural healing process is delayed..
You can gargle with specially formulated mouthwash for Dry mouth like Biotene or other available at your local pharmacy store,chew sugar free chewing gum and drink plenty of water..
Getting the medicine changed that is causing Dry mouth should be done..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 36 minutes later
thanks so very much, you were most helpful.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pleasure is all mine..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome again..

If you found the discussion helpful please give me a Five Star Rating and write a positive review as a token of appreciation and encouragement..

If you would like to ask me a question again you can write @ Dr.Honey Arora, Dentist before your question or can go to my profile and click on Ask me a question..

Wishing you a good health..

Thanks and regards..
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist