Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the genital area post protected intercourse

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi. I had protected sex, a few days after i felt burning around my pubic hairs. Im not sure whether its due to constantly checking every 5 minutes to see if i had an std and i irritated it myself. The feeling was like my hairs had been pulled and the burning was pretty bad. After two days i trimmed and it provided relief it cleared up after 3-4 days. I didnt notice any rash, bumps, spots or blisters, but could this still be a genital herpes infection? At the time I didnt know that this could be a symptom for genital herpes so i thought nothing of it !
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Burning skin due to anxiety most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

I read history provided by you. You said you got burning sensation in pubic area few days after sexual intercourse. And you did not develop any skin lesion. This would suggest that there is no organic cause of burning skin. And due to such thought, herpes progenitalis may be ruled out. So, kindly do not worry. Just relax and reduce the stress causing the anxiety.

So, I think that most probably you might have anxiety due to intercourse or some other cause.

Anxiety activates the body’s stress response. The stress response immediately causes specific physiological, psychological, and emotional changes in the body that enhance the body's ability to deal with a threat - to either fight with or flee from it - which is the reason the stress response is often referred to as the fight or flight response.

Part of the stress response changes include shunting blood away from parts of the body less important for survival and to parts that are vital for survival. Since the body only has so much blood, the body needs to shunt it around accordingly and based on the requirement at the time.This shunting action can stimulate nerve cells in the skin, which can cause a burning sensation to occur during an active stress response.

When the burning skin symptom is caused by persistently elevated stress, it may take a lot more time for the body to recover and to the point where this burning skin symptom is eliminated.

You can get recovery by reducing your stress, practicing relaxed breathing, meditation,increasing your rest and relaxation, and not worrying about this symptom. I know that it can be very bothersome. But, when your body has recovered from the stress response ....this burning skin symptom will completely disappear.

You may consult the dermatologist for the perfect diagnosis.

Anxiolytics like tab. Fluoxetine 10 mg may be taken till you get good result(you need to have prescription by your local physician for them).

I hope this would help you.

Thanks..

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 3 hours later
I was suffering from very bad anxiety but isit possible I may have missed a lesion or sign that it was herpes?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Burning skin due to anxiety

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern for tension related to STD..herpes progenitalis. But, as you gave history, I feel that you do not seem to suffer from herpes progenitalis. The burning skin may be anxiety induced. So, please avoid anxiety. And try to relieve anxiety by positive attitude and relaxation methods.

I don't think that the lesion is missed by you. Herpetic lesion is hardly missed...as there must be grouped vesicular lesions followed by erosions. So, kindly relax and avoid anxiety, don't worry...

I hope you got my answer..

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 18 hours later
But is there a high risk of contracting the virus from someone who doesnt know whether they have herpes or not from a single encounter or do you need to come into contact with it more than once. I read somewhere that having intercource with someone who is diagnosed with herpes, catching the virus is 1:100 is this true. I also read that some dont develope signs of herpes or can develope them years after, is this also true. Im still very anxious about this. I dont wish to pass something on to my partner
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Burning skin due to anxiety

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your tension related to herpes. Tension will increase your burning and may create other organic diseases. I think you must become cool and wait for new episode of herpes. If it occurs, then you should worry to cure and prevent the disease.

There is no fun in chewing the the matter which is not there.

I hope you can understand my view.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D