• question-icon

Suggest treatment for arm pain while on Naproxen

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: should I be worried about arm pain that is really bad. it literally has me in tears and I took Tylenol and Naproxen and it still won't go away. I'm more worried about from a cardiac point of view but should I be concerned or no. it goes all the way from my shoulder to my elbow to my thumb area.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend performing some tests:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of a cardiac disorder.

A pinched nerve or radicular nerve pain related to a cervical disk herniation could be the cause of the pain.

Is the pain triggered by arm movement or neck movement? This would be another argument in favor of a nerve pain or a musculo-skeletal pain.

Is the pain shooting like? This would indicate possible nerve pain.

The distribution of the pain (shoulder, elbow and thumb area) is typical of radicular nerve pain too.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a cervical spine X ray study to examine the vertebral column of this region
- a nerve conduction study to examine the nerves on your arm
- complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation
- CPK levels for possible muscular pain.

If a radicular nerve pain or cervical disc herniation is suspected a cervical spine CT scan or MRI study would be needed.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests. Consulting with a neurologist may be needed.

Let me know about everything!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
it's a very deep aching pain not shooting or sharp at all... and no movement or position makes the pain better or worse
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
I would like to know more about the pain:

- Is it triggered by deep breathing? This would go in favor of a musculo-skeletal pain.
- What about straining physical activity (running, weight lifting, etc.)?

Considering your age and symptoms, coronary artery disease is really less possible.

You should make the above mentioned tests in order to investigate for the possible causes.

Further tests (beside the above mentioned) may be needed to investigate for a bone disorder (considering the fact that the pain is really deep):

- a shoulder X ray study
- LDH levels
- calcium and phosphorus levels
- vitamin D levels for possible deficiency.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
What about the possibility of scad?? it's my right arm and breathing doesn't effect it. No possible straining either
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of scad.

The main symptom in such case would be chest pain followed by other symptoms.

The fact that your symptoms are localized in the left art and there is no chest pain, indicates possible musculo-skeletal pain, nerve pain or bone pain.

For this reason, I recommend performing the above mentioned tests.

A resting ECG and cardiac enzymes will help exclude scad and reassure you that nothing bad is going on.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist