• question-icon

What causes drop in sedimentation rate and CRP levels after taking of Methylprednisolone?

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I had PMR and was on Methylprednisolone from May 2, 2016 to my last 1/2 MG April 5th, 2017. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder XXXXXXX 19th, 2017. I also currently have severe left foraminal stenosis in C5-C6. My Sed rate and CRP on XXXXXXX 30th, 2017 was 22 and 1.61 respectively. On August 19th, 2017 I had such neck pain and left arm pain, that I took 6 MG of Methylprednisolone. Then on the next day, before any more Methylprednisolone, I had blood drawn for Sed Rate and CRP. Results were 9 and .94 respectively. Could the one dose of 6 MG Methylprednisolone bring down my Sed Rate and CRP to such a low level. There is nothing in the MRI of my left shoulder that shows any damage. My neurosurgeon thinks I still have PMR. My rheumatologist is Dr. XXXXXXX Spiera NYC. XXXXXXX Lxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly you still have PMR

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I hope that you are talking about polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). It is very unusual for the sedimentation rate and CRP to drop drastically with a single dose of methylprednisolone. I am not certain of the reliability of the second report. Your doctor is right to expect that you still have PMR.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha