Suggest treatment for severe heartburn and arm pain

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I experience severe heartburn when I exercise. It's always accompanied by significant pain in my right arm. After about 20-30 minutes of exercise the heartburn and arm pain simultaneously diminish. Eating just before exercise increases the problem, but it still occurs, even if I haven't eaten anything for several hours. No heart issues. What's going on?
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably hiatal hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query.

This type of difficulty may indicate specific condition called hiatal hernia which means that stomach is protruding through diaphragm muscle.

It may cause heartburn, breathing difficulties,nausea, swallowing difficulties and irritation of stomach. Pain may be referred to shoulder or back. It will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food. ALso, sitting after meal or exercising with full stomach may aggravate symptoms.

Certain antiacid medications may be required as well as lifestyle changes, and in severe cases it is possible to perform surgical repair of hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and dyspepsia.

To diagnose it you should do gastroscopy and if this is negative as in your case then you should do contrast xrays of stomach.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.