• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anemia

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, this is XXXX, My 57 year old son had streptococcal pneumonia and then went sepsis. His blood was down to 6 or 6.5 in the hospital. He had 3 units of blood and it was up to 9. Last month it was 9.5 and now it 8.8 and he has been on 3 prescription iron pills a day. Sorry I am not sure of dosage. He is scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks. He was very sick and run a very high temperature for several days. We almost lost him one night. I think his doctor is being to laid back and should be exploring more things. I would appreciate your thoughts or advise.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get his blood counts checked at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I understand that there are multiple problems involved in case of your son. The anemia is being treated properly and you can wait. He should continue to take the iron pills and then should subequently get his hemoglobin level re-checked. I would need to ask you whether he has constipation and also the reason for the colonoscopy.

His getting a temperature again is indeed an alarming sign. You should take him to a doctor at the earliest and get his blood counts checked. A similar and serious infection needs to be excluded.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha