What causes the skin to protrude from the anus after a bowel movement?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have had a couple of incidents where skin protrudes from my anus after having a bowel movement. I have spoken with my P.C.P. about it. She called it a reticulated rectum I believe. Is it something I should pursue with a specialist, or should I just continue to push back in what is outside the rectum? I would appreciate some incite.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have your PCP examined you? as you have written you talked to him?

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am Dr. Kumar and would be addressing your concerns.

As per your queries answer is there are two possibilities-

1) Rectal prolapse- It is a condition in which intestinal contents may prolapse out of the anal canal. Its a common problem elder patients. Initially prolapsed part would retract on its own however when the condition becomes chronic contents of intestines need to be inserted inside by using fingers or they would hang out permanently which may lead to sepsis and infection.

2) It could be hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the lowest part of your rectum and anus. As per your explanation, it can be a grade 2 internal hemorrhoid. These hemorrhoid protrudes out of anal canal while defecating but would spontaneously return back however in grade 3 you have to push them back manually using fingers.

Tests recommended-
Proctoscopic examination of anal canal by a general surgeon.
Anal manometry or Sigmoidoscopy to rule out rectal prolapse.
I am not sure of your PCP has examined you or have just talked to you so I am explaining both possibilities.

Treatment-
Depends on diagnosis.

Recommendation-
Definitely, need to visit a general surgeon.
Please follow up with the report.
Hope I was helpful.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee