Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes the skin to protrude from the anus after a bowel movement?

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 1970 Questions

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have had a couple of incidents where skin protrudes from my anus after having a bowel movement. I have spoken with my P.C.P. about it. She called it a reticulated rectum I believe. Is it something I should pursue with a specialist, or should I just continue to push back in what is outside the rectum? I would appreciate some incite.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have your PCP examined you? as you have written you talked to him?

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am Dr. Kumar and would be addressing your concerns.

As per your queries answer is there are two possibilities-

1) Rectal prolapse- It is a condition in which intestinal contents may prolapse out of the anal canal. Its a common problem elder patients. Initially prolapsed part would retract on its own however when the condition becomes chronic contents of intestines need to be inserted inside by using fingers or they would hang out permanently which may lead to sepsis and infection.

2) It could be hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the lowest part of your rectum and anus. As per your explanation, it can be a grade 2 internal hemorrhoid. These hemorrhoid protrudes out of anal canal while defecating but would spontaneously return back however in grade 3 you have to push them back manually using fingers.

Tests recommended-
Proctoscopic examination of anal canal by a general surgeon.
Anal manometry or Sigmoidoscopy to rule out rectal prolapse.
I am not sure of your PCP has examined you or have just talked to you so I am explaining both possibilities.

Depends on diagnosis.

Definitely, need to visit a general surgeon.
Please follow up with the report.
Hope I was helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Sepsis

doctor1 MD

hi doctor, in October 2008 I was in my colonoscopy and bowel perforated sigmoid affected in such equipment. for 7 days taken any action in the hospital, and then I surgery, colon removed, washed, cut because of peritonitis, and sepsis. then resting the colon. small intestine removed double barrel, and I use a stoma bag. since the center was my stomach heartburn every day. Then in August 2009, I returned to surgery to insert small intestine is cut 10 cm, and my bowel back through the anus, but constipation, sometimes diarrhea, although I've eaten the apple, banana and high fiber. heartburn and abdominal bloating, pass gas a smell. previously did not like this, but I've got irritable bowel syndrome. According to my doctor, there is still sticky bowel surgery out, but finished second surgery, I was in the suspect ileus obstruction. how to handle this? thanks

doctor1 MD

PLEASE HELP!!! Freedom, and Freedom From the PAIN!!! Please Help!!! I have been diagnosed, (at U.C.D.M.C. Sutter Coast Hospital, Mad River Hospital) with AVN/ON, full skeletal system, with “special complications, vascular and arterial reroute, RHD{Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, etc., etc., just to name a few complications” from steroid, Solu Medrol and Prednisone Poisoning. I have had both hips replaced. Left hip twice, due to rare infection! Found via Radio Active Isotopes, Bone Scan. Hip removed, bedridden without a hip, for over a year, then replaced. Three Teeth Surgically Removed . Due to complications of Avascular Necrosis of the Teeth and Jaw Bone! Have had recurrent, asepsis and sepsis every 2-3 years. Being taken via ambulance, just day’s, sometimes month’s, after having pain meds cut in half, or more, each time, and again! Exactly what he was told not to do, repeatedly, by my Dr. s at U.C.D.M.C., S.C.H. and M.R.H.! I have tried everything my current Dr. has asked, or pushed me into, that I am capable of doing. I ve had endure endless, painful test, retest, pills and more pills. That I have had to bring in information on, from U.C.D.M.C.. To prove to him, that I should not even of tried it, or had it done. That it was hurting me and crippling me even more! I just want not to be in pain, hurt anymore and have something resembling a life back! I have been trying to get a referral for a Medtronic Pain Pump. U.C.D.M.C., Follow Up Care calls me every year, that I m hospitalized, with a pain pump, or a new pain pump comes out. Asking, if I had all up to date information, parts, pieces and if I wanted to try out, or have my current pain pump replaced. Is there anyway I can expedite getting a referral, or skype to see a physician. So I don t have to endure another lonely and painful year, of unnecessary, painful test and pills that hurt me! Specialist that have no experience, patients with or have even heard of AVN/ON. I do not wish to burden, risk my life or those around me. To be taken via ambulance, only to awaken in the hospital for the 9th time. Being asked by Dr.s , the same questions, why, how, and who, has let my pain gotten, so far out of control, yet again?! Why is your current Dr. not listening to you, or followed our instructions and orders?! All Dr. s I ve spoken with agree, with the proper nutrition, exercise and pain management, I should be able, to do anything, (non weight bearing) within reason. Right now, I am not, because of all of the above, all due to pain management. I would like to be healthy enough, that I am able to have surgery, safely, when and if needed, including Stem Cell Therapy. To date, they have had no success, to cure it that way, as of yet. Please, Please Help! I can t take the pain or abuse much longer. Any direction, guidance or help would be more than greatly appreciated. Please Help!!! Thank You, Mr. Robert E. Hunter (707) 464-2019 (707) 9546-220(707) (707) 954-6220 {text only} YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hi, my mother had sepsis and she had ARF, had to undergo dialysis thrice . her creatinine level was brought back to normal about 1.6. She is diabetic and has high blood pressure about 170-180. She now complains that she sometimes has headache and nausea and this is accompanied by a feeling that her nerves are being internally pulled. Can you please let me know why this happens?

doctor1 MD

Goodevening Doctors, I would like to something about my patient s case. He had this sepsis due to his decubitus ulcer. He was paralized for quite some years. Is there any significant that this patient could get gastric ulcer? how? what specific ulcer is it? PLEASE HELP me. Thank YOU

doctor1 MD

Hi, yesterday I found green pus at my anus and 2 cavities. Also there was a 3rd bump that looked like a boil that was not broken and still had pus in it. I have been on steroids twice with a 2 day break in between. The first time was for...

doctor1 MD

My wife went t the ER with severe abdominal pain 5 days ago. She had a ct, blood work, ultrasound , and scope into the abdomin. All test came back fine. On day 3 she started spiking a fever of 103 and her oxygen levels dropped to 84. She has been...