Suggest treatment for abdominal and back pain

Dr. Tayyab Malik

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, this past friday i was having upper right abdomen pain along with upper right back pain. I went in to get checked out, as this has happened before but never lasted this long. They took a urine sample, ran bloodwork and gave me an ultrasound. Bloodwork came back perfect, however the ultrasound showed that i have one or two gallstones. They said it wasnt an emergency as the bloodwork didnt show any signs of infection. However they said my gallbladder would probably have to come out at some point.

My first question is, should I still be having pain in my upper right abdomen if there is no infection? Is it normal for gallbladder pain to last 3 days? The pain has significantly decreased and seems to get better each day, but I just want to make sure that I shouldnt be concerned.

My second question is, is surgery the only option to get rid of the gallstones? It seems like the doctor was super fast to jump to surgery when they found out inhad gallstones.

Lastly, if I were to get the surgery, how long would I have to wait to fly? And are there any long term side effects to getting your gallbladder removed?

Thank you in advance!
xxxxx

Answered by Dr. Tayyab Malik 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
kindly read detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
hi.
thank you for posting query at HCM.

i thoroughly read your query and understood your concerns.

Gallstones are small stones that form inside the gallbladder.
Gallstones pain (Biliary colic) usually is usually experienced when the gallbladder contracts in response to a fatty meal. This compresses the stones, blocking the opening. As the gallbladder relaxes several hours after the meal, the pain subsides.

1. Biliary colic -"The pain without cholecystitis- gallbladder infection/inflammation" - usually subsides within few hours to a day. Acute cholecystitis secondary to gallstones may be continuous and accompanied with fever.

2. Medical therapy is an option for gallstones , though a vast number of surgeons around the globe prefer removal of gall bladder- surgical intervention. Medical therapy includes intake of ursodeoxyholic acid ( UDCA) for a period of 12 to 24 months. UDCA has been shown to inhibit biliary secretion of cholesterol, reduce intestinal absorption of cholesterol, increase hepatic bile secretion, and improve gallbladder emptying. Medical therapy is useful if mild symptoms, stones are smaller in size ( <1cm) and CT shows low density stone with less calcification.
weight reduction and low-fat diet is also a part of medical therapy.

3. Surgery lasts for less than one hour ( usually half an hour). Laparoscopic surgery has greatly reduced surgery time duration and surgical complications. You may travel 7 to 10 days after surgery, though the surgeon may indicate precise time.
I would also like to mention that gall bladder is removed completely in surgical intervention which may impair fat digestion. You maybe asked to cut fat completely from your diet ( or keep to minimum) after gall bladder surgery.

hope to answer your concern.
wish you good and sound health.

regards
Dr Tayyab Malik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Tayyab Malik 2 hours later
Thbk you for your answer. Do you feel that a low fat diet could prevent me from having to get the gallbladder surgery? Or if you start getting gallstones and occational pain, is it pretty much always going to cause issues and its best to have the surgery?
Thanks you!
Answered by Dr. Tayyab Malik 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
hi.
thanks for getting back to me.

if this was the first episode of biliary colic and stones are less than 1cm; then "yes", hopefully low fat diet, reducing weight ( if obese) and medical therapy maybe sufficient.
no need for surgical intervention if above scenario is present.

wish you good and sound health.
hope to answer your concern.

if no further questions, kindky close dialogue box and rate answer.
thank you.

regards
Dr Tayyab Malik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad