• question-icon

Suggest treatment for SSRI induced erectile dysfunction

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I now have ED as a result of SSRI drugs I was taken for 4 years... currently I can't have erection under any conditions and circumstances... however one day last week i had strong erection and I was completely normal!?!?!... and for four days two weeks ago i had strong erection and I was completely normal!?!?!

My issue - I can't get sexual arousal, but I want to have sex...

(1) does it mean my Serotonin and / or Dopamine level is normal or it is not ok, maybe it is now still modulating???

(2) are there any other neurotransmitters that are not ok, and may cause "no sexual arousal"?

(3) since I am no longer on SSRI drugs for over two months now, does it mean I don't need to worry about modulated / increased / decreased Serotonin level???

(4) which doctor can order blood work to check level of Serotonin, Dopamine, norepinephrine, gaba (gamma amino butyric acid), melatonin, oxytocin??? Is it Neurologist, Psychiatrist, Endocrinologist?

(5) what are typical issues of patients who stopped taking SSRI drugs? Erectile dysfunction? For how long?

Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for follow up.

Please read the answers in sequence of questions

1. I do not think there is abnormality of any neurotransmitter as there is normal mood, normal cognition, normal energy, normal thought. In other words it can be stated that either it is normal or last stage of modulation.

2. The chances of any other neurotransmitter involvement is very low as you are out of depression and no other symptoms present except no sexual arousal.

3. Yes it is true

4. There are no specific tests for this purpose to use in clinical practice

5. The after effects of SSRI can last for one to three months. Since there are occasional erections over the last few days I feel you will completely recover in few weeks.

As stated earlier I will request you to go for regular exercise and eat healthy. In addition have a optimistic attitude toward the problem.

I also request you to monitor early morning erections for the next one month.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist