Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suggest alternative medication for Abilify

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 1455 Questions
I have been on Cymbalta for 3 years approximately. So we tried Prozak 40mg BID. It doesn't seem to make any difference. I did ween myself off of both. I was wondering if Wellbutin works differently. My doctor wanted to try Abillify, but I'm afraid it will cause facial tics. I have crohn's disease, fibro, type 2 diabetes from prednizone in the past. I only have 5 ft of intestine left and I'm on 2000ml of sodium chloride w/500mg of magnesium in each bag. I need something that comes as a capsule or gel cap because it comes out whole otherwise. Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Choice of drug depends on diagnosed disorder.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone very carefully through your query.

bupropion hydrochloride,is an antidepressant of the aminoketone class,This class is not related to tricyclic or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor.This salt works by inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine and this action results in more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves.
Abillify on the other hand is a atyical anti pyschotic.Please specify your problem clearly i.e whether its depresion or pyschosis as treatment depends on the nature of your illness.

If you are depressive then my suggestion is that start taking Paroxetine.Its a SSRi like fluoxetine but results are far superior and is very well tolerated by most of the patients.
Start with paroxetine.It would take minimum of 4-8weeks to show its effect.
Tetrfol(L-Methylfolate) should also be taken daily along with paroxetine.Methylfolate increases the bioavailability of Paroxetine. These are prescription medicines and you need to consult your local doctor for the same.

Please revert back for better advice.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor