Is Magnesium Citrate effective at treating constipation while on treatment for diverticulitis?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been suffering from diverseretulitis since 7th December,went to clinic, on 12..Received antibiotics,taking miralax.Have not had BM since 6th...can I saftey take something quick acting like magnesium citrate???????THANKS
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome. Yes, diver and antibiotics both can lead to constipation.
Yes, you can take it. you should start with dosage of 300 to 500mg of magnesium citrate. Also some other supplements may be beneficial such as
Udo's oil or Absorb Plus. Diet should be easy, only boiled food, vegetables and fruit. Avoid chocolate and spicy food. Take some probiotics. Bowel movements should normalize within 1-2weeks. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng