Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the hamstrings after injury

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
This is a follow-up to our chat of a few days ago re magnesium to alleviate intense muscle spasms in my thigh. It seems to be helping along with the 2mg Tizanidine. I have spoken with my internist and he agrees that I should see an orthopedist to check out the possibilty of periformis/sciatica which could also cause the spasms. I am making an appointment after the Christmas holidays. Also, I have apparently injured the hamstrings on that same leg. I know one night when I had the spasms I kicked my leg very hard and the other day when walking I felt something "move" in that area. It is so painful and superseded the muscle cramping especially trying to sleep and sitting down. When I turn in bed I let out a yell. I believe all of this is connected. Last night I waited an appropriate amount of time between taking the Tizanadine for the cramping and then took a Vicoden which did nothing to alleviate the hamstrings pain. Any suggestions as to what else I can take for this? .Perhaps a better combination of Tizanadine, Advil and ES Tylenol Or higher dosage of Tizanadine.. Sorry for long note but wanted to make sure I included everything involved.
Fri, 18 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can double the dose of Tizanidine.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the hamstrings after an injury can be due to a muscle strain. This usually heals with icing the area and a higher dose of tizanidine. You can have double the dose of Tizanidine and combine it with Advil for a better relief. Avoid all the movements that aggravate the pain. Only rest will help in bringing the relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the hamstrings after injury 7 hours later
Dr.Tayal,

I took 2 mgs of Tizanidine and was very uncomfortable as the back lower thigh hamstrings or some other muscles were jumping and painful. I turned to get out of bed and felt a pull all the way up the thigh to the buttock. Also for some reason the meds made me a bit drugged. I am in intense pain. Is there anything I can do immediately? My docs are in Manhattan about 1 hour away and I don't know if I can make it there before he leaves; he's not in tomorrow. I guess I could see a partner? Do you think these cramps will settle down a bit to get me to tomorrow?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use an elastic bandage or support.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The cramps will settle down gradually. You can keep the leg in an elastic bandage for an extra support to the area. Increasing electrolyte rich fluid intake like fresh fruit juices will also help. You can wait for 1-2 days and see if the pain gradually subsides. In case it is associated with local swelling and redness then it is best to attend an ER for stronger prescription medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the hamstrings after injury 12 hours later
Thank you. I was able to get some sleep during the night. As for the elastic bandage, the numerous type pains move from different areas in the leg; e.g. right now I have difficulty getting up from a seat as the top front of my thigh is very sore and at the same time have another type pain in my lower leg. I'd have to wrap the entire leg and that's not doable as I have no one to assist me. Does sciatica present with all different type pain? Holidays are here - my doc is on vacation; my orthopedist won't be back until Wednesday. There is a CityMD branch nearby and if necessary I will go there. I am alone in this and the thoughts of an ER freak me out. I've had many painful experiences there in taking care of my parents, but know that sometimes that's the place to be. I also have a Medic Alert button .... and prayers.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sciatica not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The pain in sciatica is usually constant and is a shooting kind of pain. It is not associated with muscle spasms.
Do continue with the medicines that you are taking and keep your fingers crossed. The pain and spasm will gradually improve.
Best wishes and regards.