Can discontinuation of Adderall cause muscle aches?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Can discontinuation of perscription adderall cause muscle aching? What does adderall do to muscle tissue?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it does cause muscle aching.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
Adderall is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine which are stimulating drugs. They increase the amount of dopamine and norepinephrine in the synapses, and thus they stimulate your psychological and physical activity.
Adderall discontinuation causes irritability, aches and pains (especially in the muscles), and depressed mood.
The mechanism is related to the constant stimuli that adderall has been giving to the muscle tissue, and now that the muscle lacks this stimuli, it becomes sore and hurts. It can be compared to the ache you feel after going to gym, but this is more intense and constant. It is physiological and it will last for a period of time.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad