management of IBS
I am sorry about your current health condition. This may be disturbing your routine life.
Let me tell you in the beginning that IBS needs to be managed with psychological support and dietary measures on a long term basis. Medications are to be used only for the symptoms that you develop like pain and loose stools.
You seem to be undergoing a lot of stress
in your work-life area.
The urgency is passage of stool and the alternating hard and loose stools are due to the increased responsiveness of the intestines to the stress.
and pain are also features of IBS as you know.
Here are my suggestions to you:
- It is of utmost importance to get rid of the stress first to be able to manage your disease well. Please remove all your thinking about the disease. Since there is no organic pathology, your life expectancy would be same as any other person.
- Sleep adequately.
- Stop worrying about anything that disturbs you. Practice some relaxation techniques
- Avoid coffee, quit smoking
(if you do), avoid alcohol, avoid spicy food.
- Avoid traveling frequently as well as you tend to eat food from outside that may irritate the intestines.
- Increase your fibre intake in food like fruits and vegetables.
- You could seek the help of a counsellor to talk about your worries and stress. You could consult a psychiatrist
- You need to be in regular follow up with your doctor so that your doctor and you are both aware of the disease progression.
The problem is in your lifestyle. When you make these lifestyle changes, you would be symptom free of IBS.
There are several medications available for treatment of IBS. You could try anti-diarrhoeals, anti-cholinergics, TCAs, laxatives depending on your need.
If need be, you can be prescribed these.
Hope this helps you. Regards,