Suggest remedy for spontaneous leg movements while sleeping caused by interrupted neuronal transmission

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Why do my legs and feet kick around sometimes when I am sleeping, but I cannot walk and use a wheelchair during the day?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spontaneous neurologic activity, or disinhibition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Spontaneous legs movements are noticed in patients where there is damage, or interrupted neuronal transmission between central nervous system ( brain and spinal cord ) and peripheral nervous system (peripheral nerves) and muscles.

This most probably happens because of the spontaneous nerves and reflexes activity below the damaged level of the central nervous system.

In other words, low levels of central nervous system ( spinal cord in your case ), show a spontaneous activity that results in group muscles movements as a result of higher nervous system instances lack of control, or disinhibition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D