Suggest remedy for shortness of breath, fatigue and tightness in chest

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a mild sinus infection but am able to breathe perfectly through my nose. This morning I woke up with a tightness in my chest and very dizzy. It also seems like I have shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. What do you advise?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely upper respiratory infection with sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

This is likely due to upper respiratory infection with sinusitis but it should be further evaluated by complete clinical examination and some relevant tests.

I would suggest you to undergo some routine blood works,ESR and chest X-ray.

Meanwhile,

Take antihistamines like cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.

Take Betahistine (vertin 8 mg) three times daily for dizziness and take plenty of water with fruit juices to maintain electrolyte balance.

Take complete bed rest and have light food only for couple of days.

Bronchodilator drugs (like Deriphylline retard) can be helpful to get relieve from chest tightness but you will need prescription from the doctor.

From the above drugs,we may expect to see some improvement from shortness of breath,fatigue and dizziness but it would be better to see some local physician for further evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee