Suggest remedy for severe neck pain

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: My son woke up with severe pain in his neck. He said he turned his head and he heard something pop. Now he can't turn his head because of the pain
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will resolve likely within a week with analgesics,rest,muscle relaxants

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems to be muscle spasm or sprain which could have happened because of inappropriate posture or movement.

Most likely such spasms settle with in a period of 1-2 weeks with rest, warm compresses, analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen alongwith muscle relaxants like orphenidrine or tizanidine. After few days of rest, physiotherapy and rehabilitation can be started.

Use soft n lowered pillow which is at the level of neck and the rest of the body so that alignment of spine may not be disturbed for longer times.

If it doesn't settle or improve with these measures, he can have radiographs of neck vertebrae to rule out cervical spondylitis or other spine related issues and get a detailed review with an orthopedician.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar