Suggest remedy for nasal polyps
I agreed with him.
He prescribed mometasone 600mcg from a compound pharmacy which I took through a nebulizer and it seem to work. This lasted about three years. Then on the 4th year the pharmacy sent me something different then the doctor proscribed. Buenoside ?? which did not seem to work and left a bitter taste in your mouth. My next appmt with my ENT I told him what had happened. He said stop taking theBuenoside, because it doesn't work. He told me to use Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, twice a day. I was doing this when I was using the nebulizer as well.
Since then my ENT has passed due to cancer and I am about to see a new ENT. I fear surgery since I am on blood thinners and also have a problem with anesthesia.
I had this operation on my nose for polyps then back in the 1980's, and I don't want to go through it again. I was spitting blood for three months and almost choked on a blood clot that came down from my nose and into my throat.
What do you think my treatment should be and what do you think I should do?
CT scan OF PARA NASAL SINUSES.
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having nasal polyp.
Answers and solutions for your queries.
1. Actve bleed, on blood thinners requires blood tests ( PT, APTT, TT, INR, PLATLET count and hemoglobin percentage). Depending on the findings, blood thinners can be stopped for a while.
2. Recurrent sinonasal polyp with risk factors ( elderly man, hypothrroidism, post CABG on blood thinners) can be managed with medications, but decision can be taken after doing CT scan of para nasal sinuses (depending on the depth and extension of polyps).
3. Nasal polyps, do responds with mometasone or Buenoside. As per your comforatability, you can continue mometasone.
4. Sino-nasal polyp, secondary to allergic rhinits needs life time treatment and follow-ups ( nasal sprays and anti-allerfgic medications) to prevent complications. Therefore, you need periodic check up (nasal endoscopy) by an ent surgeon.
5. Kindly discuss with your treating doctor, and go ahead for the investigations.
Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.
Wishing you good health.