Suggest remedy for fainting spell after changing BP medication

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had high blood pressure for about 2 yrs. I am a 62 year old female. I was recently in the hospital and started new meds for my bp. Tonight I fainted. My blood pressure was 90 / 60. I didn't hurt myself when I fell but I still fell very dizzy and week. Is his somthing that can wait until morning to call my dr. or should I go to the er AGAIN.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms seem to be related to the new antihypertensive therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your low blood pressure seems to be related to your new therapy.

I would like to know your actual therapy. When did you start it (how recently)?

What was your previous therapy? You should know that it may take up to one week for the new therapy to show its effects on your blood pressure.

The fainting and the dizziness that you have been feeling during the last week seems to be related to your new therapy.

What were your previous blood pressure values (before the actual therapy)?

I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure different times during the day (in sitting position after 15 minutes of total relax) and refer these values to your attending physician.

You should discuss as soon as possible with him the possibility of making some changes to your actual therapy (decrease the dose or stop one of the drugs).

Meanwhile I recommend taking plenty of fluids (water and juices) and avoid dehydration.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 minutes later
Hello Dr.
Thank you for your reply to my first question.
Here are the answers to your questions.
My bp without meds runs about 220/ 120 as high as 250/120.
I have been taking thee new meds for a little over 2 weeks.
I am taking clonidine 10 mg bid
Linsinapril 25 mg. bid
sprilolactone 1tab daily.
I also have a pace maker and a history of arythemeias. SVT VT and afib.
I have had 6 ablations. The last one was 3 years ago.
my heart rate is aprox 95
I have had several previous therpaies. most of them worked for a while but I would break through every cupple of weeks with very high bp.
I am drinking plenty of fuilds and not taking chances of falling again tonight.
I will call my dr. in the morning.
Is there anything else I should be doing tonight?
Thankyou again XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Hi again dear XXXX!

Seems that you need to perform some immediate changes to your actual antihypertensive therapy.

Figuring your referred high blood pressure values, it may be easily concluded that you are suffering from excessive hypertension and an appropriate underlying therapy should be carefully followed.

But, facing your actual therapy, I would explain as follows:

- Clonidine is usually administered orally 0.1 - 0.8 mg/day divided q12h and should not exceed 2.4 mg/day. You are actually taking 10 mg bid, which is extremely higher than the upper allowed (recommended) daily dose.

So, you need to consult with your prescribing doctor to decrease Clonidine daily dose (it is recommended to decrease cautiously to avoid a rebound hypertensive effect). Actually I recommend not to take Clonidine until you discuss with your doctor.

- Lisinopril has a maximal daily dose of 40 mg/day; probably you need to review its dosing with your doctor. But this should be done after avoiding completely the adverse hypotensive effects of Clonidine (days after decreasing Clonidine to acceptable [allowed] daily dose; or even withdrawing it for a safer profile drug).

If your actual hypotension keeps persisting and producing unpleasant symptoms, I recommend you to ask medical assistance to the nearest ER service for a possible intravenous fluid therapy.

Wishing you a good health!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri