Suggest remedy for dry and red bumps on glans skin

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My glans skin is dry and there are small red bumps formed on it. You can't feel them to touch but they are easy to see when erect. Also, at times rubbing the skin leads to skin getting flaky and white discharge. It is not really itchy or sore.

I got an STI test and am all clear.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
I can understand your concern regarding the skin condition.
From the keen review of your history and pictures, I can say that you have balanitis i.e inflammation of glans penis.
It is mostly caused due to infection and of that fungal on most of the times. It can also be due to local allergic reaction to soap or fabric, etc. especially in those vigorously rinse the genitals.
Balanitis is mostly associated with inflammation of prepuce in addition and then it is termed as balanoposthitis.
Though balanoposthitis can occur without sexual exposure but it is pretty common after sexual exposure and thus mandates proper clinical examination of your
partner too if possible.
In my patients of balanoposthitis, I prefer giving one day course or kit of oral azithromycin 1gm plus secnidazole 2gm and fluconazole 150 mg. I would also suggest that your partner should be treated with same kit.
For you additionally, I would prescribe oral fluconazole 100mg daily for 10-15 days and a cream containing antifungal drug like clotrimazole for 2-3 weeks to be applied twice a day.
Avoid any harsh soap over genitals and use ketoconazole soap to rinse genitals.
Avoid any sexual exposure for one week or if so you indulge make sure you use condom.
I am sure this will take care of your issue.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.

Thank you and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply. Just two quick questions; is there any treatment that would not need a prescription that I could use before visiting a doctor?

Would you expect the skin to even out after treatment?

Thanks,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral medications need prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mark,
I am afraid you may not get all the medications without prescription especially the oral tablets.
I think you may get clotrimazole cream or dusting power on OTC basis. Also you may be able to get antifungal soap.
But its better to get complete treatment including tablets to prevent recurrence and and to prevent transmission to your partner.

Wish you best of health.
If any query arises in future feel free to contact me through my profile page.
Thanks and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad