Suggest remedy for adrenal surge in chest

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi I am experiencing what feels like adrenal rushes in my chest mainly but also have an intense need to tense all of my muscles, what is this?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Your presentation of chest tightness and adrenal rush kind of feeling ( palpitations ) etc needs both elaboration and a detailed clinical correlation with present and past history as it could be a musculoskeletal, a psychological , a gastric or cardiac problem.

Any chest tightness should be first sorted out for cardiac problems and ekg is a main start. Once cardiac problems are ruled out then pulmonary issues like asthma, COPD or pulmonary embolism or pneumothorax can give such chest tightness and short of breath feeling so parameters like oxygen saturation, chest x ray, peak flow metry and radiographs are needed to rule them out.

After that gastric discomforts like dyspepsia, acid reflux etc can also cause such presentation. Last but not the least, an anxiety or a panic attack can mimic such presentation and should never be left out of differentials list.

So go to ER and let them rule out emergencies. After that your symptoms can wait for an appointment with an internist and let them sort it out further for a cause.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan