Suggest remedies for discomfort in neck bone

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was writing a book for years. Then for about 6 months I did nothing but, sitting in the same position daily. One day I stood up and my neck bones clicked, like they were touching each other. It felt like the disks in my neck compressed and the bones were now touching. I have since started moving more but there is still discomfort in my neck. Is there any way to rejuvenate my disks to plump them back up?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get x ray of the neck

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think you are having cervical spondylitis. Before I advised you any thing I would like to know little detail of the illness.
1.What symptoms do you have at present?
2.Do you have Diabetes or Thyroid or smoking habit?
3. Do you have pain like needle pricking or tingling or numbness?
Please send me answers of these questions.I will try my best to help you.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
1. Originaly i would feel it kind of lock in bad place then I would move it and it clicked back into place. Now it[s warm or got in that area and feels weak. But it's not clicking anymore.

2. no diabetes or thyroid. I do smoke

3. No needle or tingling. It feels weak like it's not happy. I think that by moving and working it helped, but it's still not right.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should not move it or crack it

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think you are having habit of neck cracking where a person feels better when neck comes in certain position with a sound. But doing it regularly can damage your nerves. I would suggest you to follow these steps.
1.Hot water fomentation
2.Avoid doing any cracking of neck or unlocking.
3.Do not use any high pillow or keeping neck in same position for long time.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 6 hours later
No I do not crack it on purpose, I hate the sound and feeling. Staying in one place the neck bones settled into a bad place. Just by moving my neck it cracked into where it should be.

It feels like the disc got flattened. And the bones are touching. Sometime when I move it it crackles, like the bones touching. When I went back to work it got better with movement. But now it feels like my neck muscles are supporting my neck. I lay on the bed hanging my neck down and pull my head to try get some space around the disc so it can fill up again.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A MRI can help you in diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
I think if you are worried about this then MRI report can helpful. You can get MRI of the cervical spine.It will tell us if there is abnormal disc flattening is present or not. If there is uneasiness you can use soft cervical collar also till you get your MRI test.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad