Suggest medicines to improve immune system

Question
I catch viral fever and flu quite often.
I wanted to know if taking some supplements or vitamin tablets or something can help me and my immune system. Also my body is becoming resistant to all the antibiotics i am forced to take.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living

Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics should not be used inappropriately..

Detailed Answer:

Antibiotics are effectively only in treatment of non viral conditions. It has no role in the treatment of viral flu and fever. There is no point in taking antibiotics for all cases of fever. In fact that is the most common reason for antibiotic resistance development. My sincere advice is NOT to try antibiotics inappropriately.

Coming to your second question, I will only suggest you to take a good healthy food comprising of carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. Is your body weight appropriate to your height? Watch out for allergens - allergy is often precursor for infection. Start physical exercise including aerobics, yoga and meditation.

It would be a worthy option to consult a good physician during your next infection. Your doctors can run specific tests to find the cause of fever and the factors that induced it.

Hope this make sense.

Follow-up: Suggest medicines to improve immune system 31 minutes later
HI Doctor XXXXXXX

First of all thanks for your reply.
Secondly i cant stress enough that antibiotics are not being used recklessly. Every time i fall sick i make it a point to visit a doctor and invariably end up being prescribed antibiotics thats what i wanted to convey in my query.

I am slightly over my perfect BMI of 25 and i am working on it with excercise and diet control. I mostly eat home cooked meals with less oil and spices. I include all important components with ample use of fruits and vegetables.

Few of the doctors that i have consulted say that the make of your body is so that u catch cold and fever easily so try to keep yourself warm all the time. Ty using warn water and cover your ears while going for early morning jogs and i must admit keeping myself warm at all times is not possible because of banagalore weather.
I was just curious if taking nutrition supplements will help in my situation.

Thanks
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can question the need for antibiotics...

Detailed Answer:

Antibiotics are useful drugs; therefore it has been abused and used inappropriately. I appreciate the fact that you always consult a doctor before using antibiotics. You can question the need to use antibiotics the next time you have symptoms. If the cause is viral (which is often the cause), you don't need antibiotics.

As far as the second question is concerned, supplements can be taken. But remember, the supplements are only supportive treatment. You will need consume healthy mix of diet along with exercises with it.

Genetic frame work can make you sensitive/allergic to external environment. Therefore using precautions whenever needed makes sense. You can follow certain life style changes strictly such as avoiding cold and refrigerated food products. Besides as your symptoms are predominantly nasal congestion and fever, it would be worthwhile to see an ENT surgeon to rule out other treatable conditions such as a sinus condition.

I understand the recurring conditions are troubling. The answer may or may not be only "sensitivity". A thorough check up with right specialist is my suggestion to you.

Hope this helps.