Suggest medication to deal with low sperm count

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi
My husband having issue with low sperm count and motility, please advise medicine for the same
my doctor suggested maxoza and fermil-m, is that good ? any ayurvedic medicine will help ? or any exercise or food will help ?
Volume: 3ml
Sper Concentration: 10million/ml
Total Motility: 20%
Rapid: 5%
Slow / sluggish: 10%
Non Progressive: 5%
Non Motile: 80%

Morphology
Normal Sperm: 15%
Head Defects: 60%
nech and mid piece defect: 6%
cytoplamic droplets: 4%

Epithelial cells: 3 to 4 hpf
Pus cells: 3 to 4/hpf
RBCs: NIL

I heard Pus cells indicate to infection, in report it shows 3 to 4/hpf, is there any issue with that ? what is solution for the same

Thank you

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your husband has Oligoasthanoterratospermia.

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts and report of semen analysis of your husband that you have posted I can say that he has what is called as Oligoasthanoterratospermia meaning there by that his sperm count,motility of sperms and morphology of sperms is not within normal range of WHO standards.

Truly speaking there are no medications that can improve these parameters ,However following general measure help to improve these parameters to some extent.
1) Practice regular exercise for 45 minutes followed by meditation for 1/2 an hour in the morning.
2) Take high protein diet rich in vegetables and fruits and Vitamin A,C,D,E.and Zinc
3)Take anti oxidants like Almonds 5-6 everyday..
4) Avoid alcohol and smoking..

Presence of pus cells is suggstive of infection either in Seminal vesicle or Prostate which can be controlled by taking antibiotics like Doxicycline twice daily for 6 weeks.

There is no harm in taking medicines prescribed by your Dr on imerical basis with the hope that it will improve quality of his semen.

Repeat semen analysis after two months .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 42 hours later
My doctor suggested to with IUI...how IUI will help in this issue ?
do we have success with IUI with this problem ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult Infertility Specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
IUI will not be successful in your case as sperm count,sperm motility and morphology of the sperm is subnormal.
You can consult Infertility specialist to explore possibility of pregnancy by newly assisted reproductive techniques like IVU (In VItro Fertilization) with sperm concentration or ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hi Doctor

Thank you for your response, but I am just thinking techncally, in IUI best sperm taken out and that will be injected into womb when egg is released (or about to release)

So, now my husband has around 5 % rapid sperm and 15 % normal morphology and 10ml sperm count.

With these count, can't they take out best / rapid sperm to fertilize egg ?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up
In IUI sperms are not selected but injected in uterus by catheter and results of success with repeated sittings is 15 % with sperms of normal morphology .Where as in IVF few mature sperm with normal morphology are selected after sperm concentration technique and female egg is fertilised in vitro .

IUI is a less invasive and less expensive option,however pregnancy rates from IUI are lower than those from IVF.

You need to consult qualified Infertility specialist to explore the options of both the methods in terms of results ..

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.