question-icon

Suggest effective methods to quit smoking

Posted on Fri, 1 Aug 2014
Question: I am very much so wanting to quit smoking. I have been smoking for about 25 yrs. I have tried to quit cold turkey, without success. I have also tried the patch and do not like the feeling that comes with that.my father has tried zyban, and was able to successfully put the cigarettes away. I have no medical insurance and no primary care provider, but would be interested in trying zyban myself. is this anything that u could help with? if yes how do I go about getting this help?
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Bupropion

Detailed Answer:
Hello.Delighted to be able to help.
Bupropion is one of the most effective methods to quit smoking.
During the first week, the person continues to smoke and taking 150 mg per day.
From the second week the patient stops smoking and increases the dose: 150 mg
twice a day.The minimum time recommended for to be effective the treatment are 8 weeks. Bupropion use required prescription and medical control:during the first days are usual adverse effects as nervousness or insomnia;sometimes is needed combine Bupropion with a anxiolytic as Lorazepam or Alprazolam.
Please consult your doctor for a prescription.
I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz