Suffering from thyroid problem. Thyroid test done. What does the report say?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My daughter XXXXXXX, 24 years, suffer thyroid problem. Attach scan result. Please advise. Thank you.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. I have gone thru the reports. She is having primaey hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a condition in which thyroid gland doesnot make enough thyroid hormone. In this condition TSH will be high & T3,T4 levels will be low. She will have to take lifelong thyroid hormone replacement. If she has already been on thyroxine treatment and still TSH is high it means either she is not compliant with the medicines or the dose is suboptimal. Another important thing is thyroid hormone has to be taken early morning & empty stomach. Hypothyroidism is a simple problem if treatment is taken properly & all the symptoms related to it will resolve once TSH comes to normal. So dont worry ask to start treatment as soon as possible if she hasnt so far. Once TSH is normal & maintained in that range it would not cause any oyher problem.
Hope this helps,
Shivaprasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 36 minutes later
Thanks doc. But the ESR is high in blood exam, about 35mm/hr, any problem. Any problem in become preganant.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 minutes later
Esr may come after TSH has come to normal. Even if it doesnt no issues in becoming pregnant. She has to wait until TSH comes to normal before planning pregnancy. She can plan preg only when it has come back to normal. Thyroid hormone dosage will have to be increased if she becomes pregnant
Shivaprasad