Suffering from throat infection. What medication should be done?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi ,
Facing Throat infection .. its not painful , feeling like as its all scratched .. no cough its only itching .. i hv my exam on next week .. and i dun want to get ill at this time .. This throat problem i can manage but i am afraid for fever which usually happens after throat infection ... I dun knw why it happend .. i din't consumed any cold item ....
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Throat irritation could be either due to a viral infection or due to any irritants consumed along with food. In either of the cases there are chances of secondary infections with bacteria which can lead to high grade fever and make you sick.

Do gargle with antiseptic solutions like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food. This will kill bacteria existing and reduce the chances of bacterial infections. Also do take Benadryl if the throat irritation is more and unbearable.

Watch the progress of symptoms closely and if you the symptoms do not improve in the next 2-3 days, consult your physician for other treatment.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Good luck for your exams...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Now i am taking these following tablets ....
1) Himalaya septilin twice a day. (for 2 days)
2) Nimesulide twice a day. (for 2 days)
3) Solvin Decongestant tablet twice a day (for 2 days)
4) Azikem 500 once a day (for 3 days)
5) Celin twice a day (for 2 days)
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can continue the above medications along with gargling CHLORHEXIDINE as advised above.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli