Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suffering from mono and dizziness. Should I go for PCP test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
Hi. I had a case of mononucleosis that took several months to get past. I feel pretty good now except for one thing. The mild dizzness/vertigo i had with mono seems to be getting slightly worse or at least not improving. Should i return to my PCP or can i expect this to eventually resolve?
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Welcome to the Health Care Magic

Dizziness is unsteadiness. If there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo.

It is time to see your doctor. A few days / weeks are usually enough after the infection to return to normal.

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially after recent throat infection / in the presence of tinnitus and so on. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with you.

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by your Internist. / If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension...(BP) / It can be from anaemia (haemoglobin) / ECG, blood pressure, blood counts and other investigations may be needed. If still symptomatic, a neurologist should examine investigate.

In the mean time, medicines like betahistine or flunarazine alone or in combination may help

Take care
Wishing you speedy recovery
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor