Suffering from mono and dizziness. Should I go for PCP test?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi. I had a case of mononucleosis that took several months to get past. I feel pretty good now except for one thing. The mild dizzness/vertigo i had with mono seems to be getting slightly worse or at least not improving. Should i return to my PCP or can i expect this to eventually resolve?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to the Health Care Magic

Dizziness is unsteadiness. If there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo.

It is time to see your doctor. A few days / weeks are usually enough after the infection to return to normal.

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially after recent throat infection / in the presence of tinnitus and so on. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with you.

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by your Internist. / If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension...(BP) / It can be from anaemia (haemoglobin) / ECG, blood pressure, blood counts and other investigations may be needed. If still symptomatic, a neurologist should examine investigate.

In the mean time, medicines like betahistine or flunarazine alone or in combination may help

Wishing you speedy recovery
Good luck