Suffering from kidney cancer. Got a tumor on sciatic nerve. How to get cure?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: Hi, my dad has been fighting kidney cancer for 2 years. We had it reversing for six months naturally, but he couldn't stick with the diet and protocol. Now he has nine tumors, one broke his arm in half and one is on his tail bone threatening paralysis. He's on chemo, radiation and cannabis oil and has been actually doing not half bad considering....still driving and going out to eat. But recently the tumor is pinching the sciatic nerve and it's causing so much pain that he's in bed and declining mentally (like a nose dive because of the pain) can we do anything about the pain??? He's on a fence right now of continuing to fight just due to the pain. Also, his groin has been hurting recently and his leg swelled to twice it's size and feels like it's going to explode and the doctor said he has a LESION in the groin. What is a LESION??? We don't know what that means. He's going to do lymphatic treatment soon to help the blood flow back up the leg. Anyhoo, is there anything we can do to help with the sciatic pain??? And what is a Lesion? He's on morphine and it's not helping.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A lesion refers to an abnormality of a tissue in the region of groin. It can be a swelling or a wound. The abnormality can be a benign or a malignant problem. An examination and investigations like MRI can help in detecting the exact size, location and type of lesion.
Since the sciatic pain is due to the nerve compression by the tumor, the removal of the tumor surgically is the best way to alleviate pain. Nerve block analgesia can be another option. You can discuss about the options with his anaesthetist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Can you remove a tumor that is metastasized to the tailbone or at least part of it to relieve the pain? So far doctors seem to be like "your dying, so what's the point of helping you out with pain" It's really terrible because he still has fight in him and it doesn't seem that they care at all and every time he brings it up they change the subject or dismiss it. Do you have a doctor in Southern CA that you could recommend that could remove the part of the tumor that is pinching the nerve? Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The partial removal of a metastasis is not likely to help him much as the malignant tumors grow back fast. Additionally, there are many per operative complications in such patients.
You can discuss regarding a nerve block with his anaesthetist to relieve his pain.
I do not personally know a surgeon in the southern CA. You will have to search it yourself on internet.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Okay, it's my last question I've paid for. He's already gotten an epidural....its that the same as a nerve block? And he was, unfortunately one of the people the epidural didn't help. So, we are sort of SOL in regards to helping him with this pain, huh? XXXXXXX well thank you for your help. Happy Holidays ~~XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
In epidural analgesia, the analgesic drug is injected at regular intervals to take care of the pain. It is same as the nerve block I suggested earlier. If that has also not helped him then he is really in a difficult situation.
I am sorry that we can't help him much with the pain.
Regards.