Suffering from headache, dizziness and pressure in head. How to get relief?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi.

For about the last three years I have been suffering on and off with headaches tight pressure in the head, dizziness and a general feeling of spaced out and tired.

The pattern is as follows.

Wake up 8.00 (fine)

9.00 all the above symptoms start to flood in.

9.00 till about 13.00 constant symptoms no let up.

From about 14.00 to 20.00 the symptoms start to lessen

Then about 21.00 there are no signs of the above symptoms at all.

If it’s a weekend and im not at work the symptoms are still there and if I start drinking alcohol in the afternoon then these symptoms will dissipate gradually.

As you can imagine ive had this on and off for 3 years. Ive had an MRI scan about 5 years ago for something unrelated and that was clear, ive had an ECG which was fine at the time and various trips to the doctors but still have not found a cure.

This is really getting me down.

Is there something im missing that you may be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with headache.
Do you have tears from eyes and running nose during headache?
What is the type of headache?
What are the aggravating factors for headache?

Migraine is the most common type of headache.
It may be associated with other symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, head heaviness, periorbital pain, nausea & vomiting.
Migraine is associated with pulsating type of headache.
Tears from eyes and running nose is generally seen in tension headache.
Sometimes tension headache & migraine is simultaneously present.
Migraine gets aggravated after exposure to sunlight, noise pollution. lack of sleep, and after intake of coffee & tea.
Alcohol has been defined as an aggravating factor for migraine which in case in dissipating factor.

As your pain is more during day time, thee may be possibility of aggravation with sun light.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR).
You should take anti-migraine treatment both for acute attack and for prophylaxis.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava