What causes heaviness of the head and difficulty sleeping?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi my head feels heavy I left work early and slept for 3 hours what causes this ? I’m healthy
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information and possible differential diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Cxxxxxxx, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. The heaviness of head could be due to so many reasons, like

- Lack of sleep - As you mentioned, you have slept for 3 hours only. That means you are sleep deprived. It can cause heaviness of head, burning sensation and redness in eyes.

- Tension or stress headache - You are working person. You might be using laptop/mobile/computer daily for many hours. It can cause fatigue of eyes and heaviness in head along with stress/tension headache.

- Eye disease like refractive error or blurred vision

- Mental stress (work/life related) causing it. Sometimes even depression or anxiety-panic attack can manifest similarly. It usually presents with excessive negative thoughts, lack of sleep, lack of interest, decreased appetite.

So you can note, there are multiple causes of heaviness of head. I need more information about your complaint to conclude something. Only after that I can advise you how to approach it

- Is there any history of regular lack of sleep?

- Is there any history of mental stress (work or office related)?

- Is there any history of too much negative thoughts, lack of interest, avoiding people?

- Is there any history of visual blurring, burning sensations in eyes?

- I there any history of allergy, postnasal discharge, nasal blockade?

Hope you will understand my point. If you have any doubt, do let me know.
Till then, for relief, you can

- Take a good nap of around 6-7 hours
- Give rest to your eyes. So avoid bright light. Wash them with cold water.
- After waking up, indulge yourself in light extra-curricular activities like some sports. It will relieve work related mental stress.
- Drink plenty of water (around 3 litre) and eat good diet.

Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D