Can pituitary macroadenoma cause headaches and eye pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi Sir,

I hope you remember me ! My father got pituatory macrodenema surgery 3 and half years back. Its because of prolactin production and the surgery went well. he lost vision in one eye before the surgery only due to pressure because of the tumour.

He is on medicine like thyronom, hisone and for prolactin now. All are normal as we get test done in month.

He complains headache s and pain in eye. Is it because of seeing more from one eye. He is additiced to phone also. Is it common problem after this surgery? Why headache when there is no problem
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Headache could be related to other causes.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

I remember your father's case.

In his case, the headaches are not related to the pituitary macroadenoma. Other factors are responsible. As you mentioned, it could be excessive strain on normal eye and excess use of XXXXXXX phone. In some cases, it could even be tension headache or migraine. As of now, he needs to sleep well and minimise the XXXXXXX phone use.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Can pituitary macroadenoma cause headaches and eye pain? 24 minutes later
Thanks a lot Sir for remembering. is it for one eye vision as he dont have any vision in one eye due to optic nerve damage.Can we get him specs , Will it help?

What medicine he should take? or headache will be there as he dont have vision in one eye and seeing from one eye creates lot of pressure .

What can we do?

I really appreciate your help as always.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Get his eye check up done.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Get his eye check up done. If he has power, then, spectacles would be needed.

For headache, he can use DOLO 650 as and when needed.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)