Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Suffering from frequent cough and sneezing. ESR of 38mm/hr by wintrobe method. How to control it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 1663 Questions
Hello sir

My age is 30yrs.I am male. My ESR by wintrobe method is 38mm/hr.I am suffering from frequent cought and sneezing.
How can i control it?
what will be the exact reason for my high ESR levels?
what other test i need to under go?
Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Thanks for your question
You're having a raised ESR of 38mm/hr by wintrobe methods and your suffering from frequent cough and sneezing
ESR is said to be nonspecific because increases do not tell the doctor exactly where the inflammation is in the body or what is causing it.The usefulness of ESR has decreased as new methods of evulating disease have been developed
There are many causes for raised ESR .Most common are:
No1: Infection ;
Different type of the infections can be associated with raised ESR .These include common infections, such a viral syndrome (the cold or influenza),streptococcal throat infection and cellulitis(skin infection)
No2 : Inflammation
Due to any cause, for example autoimmune diseases
No3 : Malignancy
For example multiple myeloma, gastric carcinoma, renal cell carcinoma
No4 :Anemia
No5 : Old age
Moderately elevated ESR (as in your case) occurs with inflammation, anaemia, infection, and old age.
So in your case cause of raised ESR is quite oblivious, that is your respiratory tract infection (cough and sneezing). Other causes can be ruled out only by a complete history and examination. Once wee decide the cause, we can look at the treatment part
The most probable cause of your cough and sneezing, could be allergic reaction to some factor present in your environment.
Please see your physician for an exam. You may need complete blood count, chest X-ray ,patch test ( for allergy) and sputum examination.
Hope I answered your question.
For any more query, do post follow up ,I will be readily available to answer.
Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor