Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from constipation. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
I am an active runner and eat healthy. I have not been regular for about 7 weeks. I now feel fullness from not deficating. I have tried adding plenty of water and fiber to my diet. I am miserable and worried. What can I do?
should i do a colon cleanse? I need relief and results. When i do go, only a little comes out at a time. I feel likle its backed up into my stomache.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
If in addition to constipation, one has pain / abdominal distension / vomiting – it means Intestinal Obstruction - one has to go the Emergency immediately. If there is ‘some stool’ as you say or even passing ‘gas’ – it is least likely. There is no emergency.
For immediate results – enema is the best. They can be obtained OTC (over the counter).
For results over a few hours, a laxative available OTC can be tried. But some of them may be irritant or stimulants. Lactulose is very safe – it has a wide dose range.
For long term and follow up, bowel re- training may be needed. The bowels might have developed a reflex to move after exercise... Stopping exercise stopped the bowel?! It should be re-trained – going to toilet at fixed times and trying, going after a fixed activity - say a few minute after drinking coffee will usher in a new reflex mechanism – in the next few days.
The best doctor under these circumstances will be a gastro-enterologist – especially if there is no improvement or worsening, or if there is an additional problem or suspicion of any complication. A thorough physical examination and rectal examination are done on the spot. A sigmoidoscopy (or full colonscopy) may at times be necessary to diagnose treatable lesions / exclude serious underlying lesions / follow up and so on.

Take care
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor