Sore and red penis with small cuts below penis head. Suggest some medication

Dr. P V S Prasad

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: my husband's penis is very sore and red with small cuts just below the head - he uses aquaphor but has not had any relief. This condition has been for about 4 years now, it will clear up and return.
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 5 hours later
Hi
thanks for posting your query.
the condition you described fits in with candidal balanoposthitis.
this is a fungal infection which can be transmitted from husband to wife and vise-versa.
he needs anti fungals like fluconazole tabs 150mgs per week for four weeks.
he can also apply clotrimazole cream externally twice a day for four weeks.
please get the blood sugars done as this may be a manifestation of diabetes.
additionally you may also take the tablets for four weeks in the same dose to prevent conjugal infection.
if there are any further doubts I will be happy to clarify
have a good day
Prasad PVS
Follow up: Dr. P V S Prasad 13 hours later
Thank you, but will this get rid of the candida infection or just temporarily? What is the next step if this does not help?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
Hi
I have clearly mentioned that it may be due to diabetes. If so treatment and control of diabetes only will help.
If the blood sugar levels are normal the partner also should take a course of anti fungal to prevent conjugal infection.
Candidiasis is a fungal infection. infections are generally can be kept under control unlike other type of diseases.
Have a good day
Prasad PVS