Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Sore and red penis with small cuts below penis head. Suggest some medication

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
my husband's penis is very sore and red with small cuts just below the head - he uses aquaphor but has not had any relief. This condition has been for about 4 years now, it will clear up and return.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 5 hours later
thanks for posting your query.
the condition you described fits in with candidal balanoposthitis.
this is a fungal infection which can be transmitted from husband to wife and vise-versa.
he needs anti fungals like fluconazole tabs 150mgs per week for four weeks.
he can also apply clotrimazole cream externally twice a day for four weeks.
please get the blood sugars done as this may be a manifestation of diabetes.
additionally you may also take the tablets for four weeks in the same dose to prevent conjugal infection.
if there are any further doubts I will be happy to clarify
have a good day
Prasad PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Sore and red penis with small cuts below penis head. Suggest some medication 13 hours later
Thank you, but will this get rid of the candida infection or just temporarily? What is the next step if this does not help?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
I have clearly mentioned that it may be due to diabetes. If so treatment and control of diabetes only will help.
If the blood sugar levels are normal the partner also should take a course of anti fungal to prevent conjugal infection.
Candidiasis is a fungal infection. infections are generally can be kept under control unlike other type of diseases.
Have a good day
Prasad PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor