Smoked crack cocaine. Facing difficulty to breath due to swollen face. Can I take antihistimine?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: I was being irresponsile last night and smoking crack cocaine. One fellows cocaine did not bother mye when i smoked it the next time from a different peson... my thoat was swellimg up where to where it almost impossible to breathe
.... I took a steam shower and am resting now... can i take an antihistimine? I am on a low dose
BP medication, clonazapam and a sleeping pill, Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 31 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic.
The symptoms that you describing appear that you had a broncho constriction -which is a spasm of the bronchial muscle. It is a kind of allergic reaction. Probably the other person from which you used cocaine might have been laced with some other drug.
What you are facing is a medical emergency and you should visit a emergency room. You need to take a shot of adrenaline to relieve your spasm.
You should start anti-histaminic drugs as well.
Secondly
why are you using Clonazepam?
Which are the sleeping pills that you are using?
Why do you need sleeping pills use regularly?
I would appreciate if you can provide me with these clarifications so that we can serve you in a better way.

In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 23 hours later
Thank you for your support.
I have always lived an extremely healthy and physically fit lifestyle until abou 4 yrs ago. I am a single parent raising two children... approx. 4 years ago my youngest, a boy age 14 got himself involved with the wrong crowd.
I had never drank, done drugs or been on any kind of medication before this time. I went for a yearly physical and found out that due to the stress, my blood pressure was in a XXXXXXX range. I was put on medication for BP, zoplicone so I could sleep and clonazepam to reduce the anxiety.
With my commitment to my son's life, I found my self going down as his ship was sinking.
I regret decisions I have made, getting involved with a man that is extremely affluent, however along with that... alcohol and drugs.
Interesting that my son is now is such a good space, he is attending a snowboarding academy in the U.S., but I find myself at probably the lowest I have ever been in my life.
Thanks for your support ...
My goal for this year "is to do more of what is working and less of what doesn't"
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 40 minutes later
I can understand what you are going through. Now that you son is doing well, there is no need to worry about him. instead you need to take care of yourself.
Drugs are no solution! From what you have described it appears that you may be having depression. You should visit a psychiatrist some day and get your self evaluated. He would like to start you on medications and also train you in psychotherapy. basically he will explain you the techniques how to take control on ones own life.
Now that you goal for this year is "is to do more of what is working and less of what doesn't", you should not do anything that has not worked - such as drugs.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
Wish you a good health!

Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thank you! I will look into seeking help for these issues. Because this has not been my lifestyle... there is some self-loathing... depression...I do however look forward to this year with hope and know that I can regain my healthy lifestyle and fitness regime once again.
No need to reply back... Happy New Year to you!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 hours later
Happy new year to you too!
Hope I have answered your query.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and review it if possible.
Wish you a good health!