Sinus problem, breathing difficulty, pain and stiffness in head. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have pain on right side of head ,extending to right arm WITH STIFFNESS, also have sinus problem & difficulty in breathing.
My job is a desk job on computer.
Using XXXXXXX tailam a nasal irrigation oil ayurvedic treatment for sinus..
Also there are scalp sores only on certain nerve WHICH CAUSES Reduced concentration shallow breathing , no focus in day to day activities.. etc .also there is a lot of pressure on right side of the head .this is for the past 2 years . now getting unbearable
Mouth slightly turned towards right as in paralysis.. am very worried ?? gets worse in winters
Pls advice what to do ?? WHICH SPECIALIST WOULD ADDRESS THE ISSUE ENT/NEUROLOGIST/ OR IS IT A SPINAL INJURY..
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

From your description, your problems can be grouped into two different health categories. Your right-sided head pain, extending to the right with stiffness and mouth slightly turned towards right + scalp soreness following nerve patterns are neurological problems that will require the attention of a neurologist and also depending on your specific past history i.e. head trauma, blood pressure, diabetes etc you might need to also see a neurosurgeon.

CT scan and MRI will be good diagnostic tools to determine the type of lesion. The neurological problem is probably a left upper motor neuron lesion ( lesion of the neural pathway just above the anterior horn cell of the spinal cord). Your scalp soreness is probably related to your neuron lesion ( requires neurologist to review).

The other sinus and difficulty breathing are due to an upper respiratory tract affection due to infection, allergy, polyp etc. You will need to visit an ENT specialist for proper evaluation and management.

So my advise is to schedule two consultations, one with a neurologist and the other with an ENT specialist.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 22 hours later
How critical do you think the problem is .
Also I have a feeling that some fluid/gas s flowing up from the lower back/lungs towards the brain with a bloated feeling in the head .PUTTING A LOT OF STRAIN ON MY KIDNEYS./Suffer from fatigue
I FREQUENTLY URINATE ONCE EVERY HOUR TO BE PRECISE .
IS it all connected ..
Also there is swelling/pressure in head & on the face just like one you have after tooth extraction.
my work is getting affected sometimes there is zombie like feeling..
Which specialist should i visit first ..because i am very concerned..pls suggest a line of action...
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
After reading through again your worries from your first posting, I will suggest the first person you visit is an internist. You might be having a systemic diseases or an autoimmune diseases like diabetes or others which might have affected your other organ systems such as your brain/spinal cord, kidney etc. You might also be over worried and having a psychogenic problem which are causing you to manifest with many sensations. An internist with sub-specialty in neuropsychiatry or neurology will be the doctor of choice for you. He would be able to group all your problems together and come up with either a relationship to all or group them by individual problems. The sensation of fluid/gas on the back/lungs towards the brain might be neurologic or just neuropsychiatric.
A series of laboratory test will have to be done.

How serious your situation is will depend on whether your are suffering from an organic diseases or a neuropsychiatric diseases. But do take note that, all affections should be considered serious until proven other wise.

Please do visit an internist to properly examine you as only your description of symptoms would not be able to tell us the exact cause of your illness.

Thank you and hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan