Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Sinus problem, breathing difficulty, pain and stiffness in head. Which specialist should I consult?

Answered by
Dr. Nsah Bernard

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1704 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have pain on right side of head ,extending to right arm WITH STIFFNESS, also have sinus problem & difficulty in breathing.
My job is a desk job on computer.
Using XXXXXXX tailam a nasal irrigation oil ayurvedic treatment for sinus..
Also there are scalp sores only on certain nerve WHICH CAUSES Reduced concentration shallow breathing , no focus in day to day activities.. etc .also there is a lot of pressure on right side of the head .this is for the past 2 years . now getting unbearable
Mouth slightly turned towards right as in paralysis.. am very worried ?? gets worse in winters
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

From your description, your problems can be grouped into two different health categories. Your right-sided head pain, extending to the right with stiffness and mouth slightly turned towards right + scalp soreness following nerve patterns are neurological problems that will require the attention of a neurologist and also depending on your specific past history i.e. head trauma, blood pressure, diabetes etc you might need to also see a neurosurgeon.

CT scan and MRI will be good diagnostic tools to determine the type of lesion. The neurological problem is probably a left upper motor neuron lesion ( lesion of the neural pathway just above the anterior horn cell of the spinal cord). Your scalp soreness is probably related to your neuron lesion ( requires neurologist to review).

The other sinus and difficulty breathing are due to an upper respiratory tract affection due to infection, allergy, polyp etc. You will need to visit an ENT specialist for proper evaluation and management.

So my advise is to schedule two consultations, one with a neurologist and the other with an ENT specialist.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 22 hours later
How critical do you think the problem is .
Also I have a feeling that some fluid/gas s flowing up from the lower back/lungs towards the brain with a bloated feeling in the head .PUTTING A LOT OF STRAIN ON MY KIDNEYS./Suffer from fatigue
IS it all connected ..
Also there is swelling/pressure in head & on the face just like one you have after tooth extraction.
my work is getting affected sometimes there is zombie like feeling..
Which specialist should i visit first ..because i am very concerned..pls suggest a line of action...
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
After reading through again your worries from your first posting, I will suggest the first person you visit is an internist. You might be having a systemic diseases or an autoimmune diseases like diabetes or others which might have affected your other organ systems such as your brain/spinal cord, kidney etc. You might also be over worried and having a psychogenic problem which are causing you to manifest with many sensations. An internist with sub-specialty in neuropsychiatry or neurology will be the doctor of choice for you. He would be able to group all your problems together and come up with either a relationship to all or group them by individual problems. The sensation of fluid/gas on the back/lungs towards the brain might be neurologic or just neuropsychiatric.
A series of laboratory test will have to be done.

How serious your situation is will depend on whether your are suffering from an organic diseases or a neuropsychiatric diseases. But do take note that, all affections should be considered serious until proven other wise.

Please do visit an internist to properly examine you as only your description of symptoms would not be able to tell us the exact cause of your illness.

Thank you and hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Autoimmune disease

doctor1 MD

gluten intolerant
hi doctor,

I'm a 25 year old Asian woman. I have had constipation and acne problems all my life. I eat a lot of veggies, fruits and wholegrain. I've been taking fibre supplements too but nothing helped. In the last few years I also have irregular period, but this time its my longest (5 months since my last period). I've seen doctors and did blood test, they think I have pcos, but the ultrasound showed I have no cyist. Lastly I've heard about gluten intolerant, and this can lead to all my problems, is it true gluten can cause constipation, acne and miss period? how do I know for sure that I am allergic to gluten?

Thank you.


doctor1 MD

I have debilitating migraines with loss of vision, abdominal issues, extreme exhaustion and malaise, high blood pressure, photosensitivity, problems in my ear canals and have had alopecia in the past. I have been tested for lupus. Some of the results that came back were - positive ANA, increased inflammation, and blood clotting problems including Factor V and protein C. The doctor said I do not have lupus even though I have read that these are all signs of lupus. How did he determine this. Are there other tests he based his findings on because when I asked I didn t really understand him and even though I don t want to have lupus, I need to figure out what is going on with my body because all of this has been going on for over a year now and no one seems to be able to help me. Can you explain what other tests are generally used to test and diagnos lupus ?

doctor1 MD

I a 33, 5 2, 160 lbs and have some symptoms of either MS or Devic s Disease (optic neuritis, spinal lesions, abnormal spinal tap). I have allergic rhinitis, gerd, and diverticulosis. My question or concern today is that I have no symptoms of sinusitis in my opinion, but my ears feel like there is a lot of pressure in them. Went to urgent care and they told me that is was sinusitis and that I had air trapped in my ears. i was given ru-hist, ru-hist d, astepro and verimist and also a hydrocortisone shot. This was on Thursday and nothing has helped, what should I do next?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 21 and male and have had eczema since birth. The problem I am having is with pigmentation on my abdominal area. The skin on my stomach is darker than the rest of my skin and LOOKS dirty however it is not dirt and seems to be in the skin. I have had this problem for over a year now and it varies in degrees of severity. The skin also sometimes looks like it has a shiny film over it. My skin does get very dry at times and this has lead me to wonder if the discolouration is due to a build up of dead dry skin cells, I have tried exfoliation but my eczema does not respond well to this. Also I have tried keeping the area well moisturised using diprobase and eucerin (containing urea) which helps to reduce the appearance after application but always comes back. I also thought this problem might be really mild stretch marks but dont know if this is likely?? I am really confused by this problem and would appreciate your expertise. Thanks

doctor1 MD

i have been gone through the medical healthch check-up.I need your input over the attached reports. Please answer the following of my concerns : 1. What could be the reason for TSH . 2. It is always hereditary or could be developed anytime in...

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr. Ditah, THANK YOU for asking me how I am doing, as I do have several follow questions for you Here goes: 1. I have believed for some time now that I have some form of inflammation or infection in the area of my eye cage and forehead. This...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will my thyroid bounce back ?