Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Should i be concerned about signs of bleeding after having hysterectomy?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5956 Questions
I am a 66 year old female who has had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries about a month ago I showed signs of bleeding for only a night. Then tonight I found the same thing. When wiping I show blood on the toilet paper. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Yes, any kind of bleeding after a hysterectomy should be investigated. There is no reason for panic , though. The most common reason for such spotting is - atrophic vaginitis. This is dryness and friability of the vaginal tissues due to local hormonal ( estrogen ) deficiency. The tissues are fragile and prone to breakage and spotting. Another reason could be a mild erosion / growth / polyp on the cervix. Please have a gynaecological evaluation scheduled - internal exam ( per vaginum and per speculum ), also a Pap smear and pelvic ultrasound scan. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about signs of bleeding after having hysterectomy? 1 minute later
Thank you for your response. I sure hope the C word will not be heard in my evaluation.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the appreciation. I sure hope so too. However, the likelihood of malignancy is very low, the possibility of the other conditions occurring is far higher. So dont worry. However, the evaluation is mandatory, just so you can be totally relaxed. Take care. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor