Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Scan report shows bulky Uterus with multiple fibriods. What is this condition and what is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hi, I'm 32 years old, I have recently got CBC and CT Scan of Abdomen and Pelvis done, CBC report showed Hemoglobin count as 5.7 and CT Scan report showed : Right Kidney - Pelvicalyceal dilation note. Right upper uterer is seen kink around the accessory right renal artery supplying the lower pole ( proximal diameter - 10.8mm, distal 3.2mm). it again increases in calibre at middle third ( 8.3mm) and is seen to be compressed by uterine fibroid at the level of right illiac crossing. Distal right ureter and UV junction is normal. Uterus is bulkey, measures 17 X 13 X 12 CM, shows evidence of multiple large intramural fibriods. Endometrium is displaced anteriorly and towards left. right ovary shows 2.9 X 2.9 cm cyst. left ovary appers unremarkable and measures 2.1 X 1.7 CM. Minimal free fluid noted in pelvis. Impression: - Bulky Uterus with multiple fibriods. - Mild right Hydroureteronephrosis. Kink in upper ureter by accessory right renal artery ( at the level of L4) and compression by uterine at iliac crossing ( at the level of L5-S1). Kindly suggest what is my condition and what could be suitable treatment.
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Risky case Detailed Answer: Hello The right form of treatment in your case will depend on your age. If you have completed your family, then surgery is advised. Since you are only 32, normally surgery isnt advised. But due to the size of your uterus and the pressure symptoms you are showing, surgery will be advised. You have multiple fibroids and their location is risky. The uterine artery is involved in this case. Due to the large size of the uterus, and the distorted anatomy, there are chances of injury to surrounding structures and bleeding. So open surgery is definitely my opinion. I would like to preserve your ovaries if possible, due to your age, but that can only be decided upon after opening you up. Unless the hydronephrosis is relieved you will soon have urinary problems. Ideally open is the mode of treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Scan report shows bulky Uterus with multiple fibriods. What is this condition and what is the treatment? 12 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for the response. I have 2 kids and got family planning operation done. BTW can you give more details on open surgery for ex: is it hysterectomy or myomectomy and what type would be? Also CBC test shows: Hemoglobin - 5.7, Hametocrit [PCV] - 22.5, MCV - 57.8, MCH - 14.7 MCHC - 25.3. Should I undergo Anaemia treatment before surgery?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: hystrectomy with/without BSO Detailed Answer: If your family is complete, then i suggest you go for surgery. First you will have to take treatment of anemia, which happened due to the heavy bleeding. Once you hemoglobin is corrected, then surgery will be planned. Due to large number of fibroids, a hystrectomy is imminent. Whether both ovaries will need to be removed, will depend on the type of cyst you have. After opening the abdomen, if the surgeon can just remove the cyst, and save the ovaries, thats advisable due to your age.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Scan report shows bulky Uterus with multiple fibriods. What is this condition and what is the treatment? 25 hours later
Hello Doctor, I have consulted doctor here with the reports, she had asked me get hystrectomy +/- BSO done, surgery is planned on 5th Dec. Coincidentally my periods cycle fall in that time ( 2nd Dec - 7th dec), will it cause any issue or surgery can still be done. Is there any way to delay periods?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: There should be no problem having the surgery during periods. Dont take any medicines to delay your period. It will cause a hormonal imbalance. Either ask your doctor to delay the surgery by a couple of days or have it as planned. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor