Red itchy rash in armpits. Suggest treatment

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello. My daughter has a red, itchy rash in both armpits. She's had it for about 3 days now and it seems to be getting a bit worse. I've put baby powder on it to keep it dry but it doesn't seem to help.
Answered by Dr. Arun 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks fir writing to health care magic.
Having seen your pictures it looks like your daughter has folliculitis , ie infection of hair follicles in the arm pit. There are many reasons including tight clothing, wool, rubbing, deodorants, soaps,etc. I would recommend to make her wear loose breathable clothing, avoid deodorant, used mild cleansing soap with aloe Vera lotion. You need to apply topical anti fungals available over the counter like clotrimazole twice daily too. If the rash does not settle in a week , consult your physician.
wishing your daughter good health.
Dr Arun