How to rule out foreign particles in the nose?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

About an hour ago I was using some clear sticky tape to tape up some posters and after I had finished I went to pick my nose but I am unsure if I still had a small bit of sticky tape on my fingers since I had a couple bits stuck on my fingers that I was taking off. If some of the sticky tape did get in my nose would the symptoms be quite obvious? I tried to use some saline nasal spray and nothing came out and I had a look with my phone light but couldn't see anything would the tape even be able to stick inside the nose it's not a very strong tape?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Foreign body in nose

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Any such foreign body will produce excessive nasal secretions and irritation

I would advise you to put saline drops which will wash off the tape down the throat but if you still have any doubt you should get an endoscopic examination of the nose done.

Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
I haven't had any excessive nasal secretions just a little irritation but it could of been from picking my nose, the only other thing is a little bit of pain in the right side of my forehead and I have bad health anxiety so that also flared up. Would it be worth waiting and seeing to see if any further irritation develops?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Foreign body in nose

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional information,

From the complaints, it is unlikely that the tape is still there but still if you have any doubt then you can get an endoscopic examination of the nose done. My advice is you should wait for another 48 hrs.

Avoid picking the nose as it can cause irritation.

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 33 hours later
Thanks for the doc just one other thing unrelated last night after visiting a friends house I was bitten by mosquitos and also some sort of insect/possibly spider as well? The mosquito bites all looked and felt the same mainly just an itch but I got some sort of insect bite on my arm and leg and after it happened the bite had a tiny white lump which really stung and still stings now but this morning it has now turned into a small red dot which I have attached an image of. Last night it had a massive red rash around it that kept spreading around my arm but it has now since gone. I also got a bite on my leg too which I have both attached images of in their current state my question is is this something I should get checked by a doctor and what are the chances of getting some sort of disease from this is it worth getting checked what are symptoms I should be watching out for? Is there anything I can do for the stinging as well on my arm? I am from Western Australia as well.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the attached pictures. These are folliculitis lesions. These can be due to insect bite prevent otherwise due to bacterial infection. Apply Ointment soframycin in these and take a tablet levocetrizine once daily for 5 days. Clean the lesions with betadine lotion and keep them dry.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
You are always welcome with any queris in future too.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D