Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Puss filled pimple on the arm. Need immediate medical attention?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I had a what looked like a pimple on my arm about a week ago and I tried to pop it. Nothing really happened and now 6 days later, at the exact spot, I have what looks like a big cold sore that has a red area around it and it has started to leak a light to dark brown puss. Is this staff or something that needs medical attention or is just something I need to keep clean and covered?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try and provide some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

This is something you should certainly keep clean and overed as you stated. Also, I recommend that yoou sit in a bath and soak the area for 20 minutes twice per day for the next few days. This will facilitate the opening of your pores and the drainage of some of the puss from the area./ Usually this will resolve on its own and your immune system will eliminate any bacteria in the wound.

However, a few things to watch for. One is expanding area of redness or expansion of swelling without drainage. This is a signal of a deeper infection that will need antibiotics. Also if you develop systemic symptoms of fever or chills this is something that you should be seen for.

For now - observe and keep things clean as I have said but keep the radar on for potential changes as I have stated as well.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Please accept this answer if you find my recommendations to be adquate.


Dr. Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor