• question-icon

Pregnant with hypothyroidism and low BP. Taking thyronorm. Suggestion for Diet and exercise?

Posted on Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi , I am 29years old female and 25 weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy and I was having hypothyroidism from past 6 yrs. i was taking thyronorm 75mcg before pregnancy, then I increase it to 100mcg as per doctors advise. I get my tsh test done after everymonth and up till last month it was normal (between 2.5-2.7) but last week my TSh came out to be 4 . Is this very high ? will this effect the baby ? . Doctor has asked me to increase medication to thyronorm 125mcg. I want to know is this amount of medication fine ? since it will take minimum 1month to reduce my TSH levels will it effect the baby in any way ?? I also have mild fever and shivering sensation from past few days . also kind of itching and slight pain in thoat. Also breathing rate is high , similar to when it is while climbing stairs. Are all these symptoms due to high thyroid level or there can be some other problem ? I have gained close to 9 kgs till now . My Bp is generally low around 60/120 , heomoglobin is 11.8. Is there any food which I shld avoid for thyroid problem or any perticular excercise which might help ........ I am worried and eargely waiting for your reply .........thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

If the thyroid hormones are low then it can affect the health of baby and may result in abortion.

I think that you are getting the symptoms of shivering etc due to high thyronorm dose. I think that you should consult your gynecologist regarding slow increase in thyronorm.

I personally do not think that TSH of 4 is very high or bad for baby, but keeping T3/T4 in normal range is advised to protect against effects of low thyroid hormone on baby.

Regarding exercise you should do the same activity now as you were doing earlier. Change in activity level is not advised but being active is always good for health.

You may avoid soy-milk, peanuts, cabbage, cauliflower, etc. as these foods interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone supplements.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj