Pregnant. Can I have black grapes and mangoes?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I’m 18 weeks pregnant. I have heard from many people that pregnant women should avoid certain types of foods like Black grapes and Mangoes because they generate heat in the body. Is that true?
I was born and brought up in Germany and I have never heard of hot and cold foods? My husband is a physician himself and he told me that this is an Ayurveda Principle and I don’t need to worry about that. Is that true? Can I have black grapes and Mangoes? Are they safe during pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Though fruits & fresh vegetables are essential for growth & development of the baby and XXXXXXX nutritional demand of mother, certain foods or fruits should be avoided during pregnancy period for safety region.

These include papaya, pineapples, black grapes, mangoes, cedar leaves etc which may increase body heat (more calorie) than normal body temperature and may cause uterine contraction with softening of cervix to proceed preterm delivery or miscarriage during pregnancy. Some evidence and studies have proven that. So, it is better to avoid above mentioned fruits.

You should continue to take prescribed medications & do periodic check up with ultrasound scan for better assessment of fetal well being. Your obstetrician can help regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Hi Dr.Soumen,

I know that pregnant women should avoid certain foods.. Especially soft cheeses, excess of pineapples on account of the bromelain content, “raw” Papayas, seafood high in mercury, raw/undercooked or contaminated meat/fish/eggs, Liver and Cod liver oil because of the high Vitamin 'A' content, excess of Caffeine, and Fruits and salads exposed open for long (Could contain listeria). This is what people in Germany and other countries avoid as well.

But I have never, ever heard of mangoes and black grapes and some other foods like chicken with masala, eggs etc. I’m having black raising daily as they are high in iron. I’m having mangoes as well. Does that mean I have harmed the baby now?

I’m having regular check-ups with my doctor and my anomaly scan is beginning of XXXXXXX

If the hot food and cold food thing is proven stuff then why is this not internationally excepted? Why do doctors abroad don’t know about it?
Why are eggs and masalas considered hot foods?

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Above mentioned fruits & food stuffs itself do not harm the developing baby directly after first trimester but some evidence shows that it may proceed to preterm delivery or miscarriage if it is consumed for long time. Otherwise, they are good source of nutrient supplements including vitamins & minerals.

You can take some other iron XXXXXXX food stuffs like red meat, egg yolk, green vegetables, dry fruit (like prunes, raisins), iron enriched cereals, XXXXXXX or chicken giblets, beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans etc.

Masala or spicy foods may create indigestion problem. Therefore, it should be avoided during pregnancy and easy digestible food should be taken.

You should undergo schedule check up and anomaly scan to check gross birth defect & overall well being of the fetus.

Some foods are thermogenic (produce more calorie & heat) and some keep body cool (by less calorie). It is widely accepted. But effect of various food stuffs during pregnancy is evidence based. It may vary with region or ethnicity.

Eggs & masala food stuffs create more heat by producing additional calorie if you consume in large or excess amount than daily requirement. Low amount do not cause as such problem.

Hope it helps for you. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Good luck. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen