Pregnant. Blood test showed TSH level of 3.45. Is this normal?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I am 30 weeks pregnant and my current blood work showed a TSH level of 3.45. My OBGYN referred me to an Endocrinologist who has recommended I go on 50 mcg of Eltroxin per day with a second blood test in 4 weeks time. The aim is to get my TSH level to 2.45.

Some health background: I am a healthy individual with no medical conditions. I have already had 1 successful and uneventful pregnancy with pretty much no symptoms. My 2nd pregnancy has been going well, energy levels are great and my general mood has been upbeat and positive (which it is, usually) with no swelling or uncommon weight gain. I am 32 years old and my family has no history of thyroid issues or other serious medical ailments.

My questions are:
1) If I weren't pregnant, is a TSH level of 3.45 completely normal?
2) Will my body become dependent on this drug and rely on it to keep TSH within normal range, post-pregnancy?
3) Is it OK to stop taking this drug after I deliver while having blood tests to monitor where my TSH level swings back to?
4) Should I have any concern about taking this drug while so late in my pregnancy? I only have 2 months to go before my due date, all ultrasounds show the baby is developing fine ... is there really that much of a serious need to take this drug given my TSH levels are within NORMAL ranges when not pregnant?

Many thanks for your help!
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 18 hours later
TSH of 3.45 is considered on the higher side of normal for a non pregnant adult. Checking for antibodies (thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin) is useful in this scenario.
I see your endocrinologist has started eltroxin. It is an acceptable practice

I am sure he or she will re evaluate your thyroid status periodically and then again after delivery to see if you still need it.

WWW.WWWW.WW This weblink explicates more about 'hypothyroidism' in pregnancy.