Postmenopausal. Have loud snoring problem. Will it be cured by surgery?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Post menopausal loud "snoring" and sleep apnoea, could abnormally low estrogen levels cause adenoids to regrow? Would surgery solve the problem?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 50 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Loud snoring in your case is suggestive of obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA). This can be due to several causes in the throat region, including enlarged adenoids.

There is no evidence to suggest a link between low estrogen level and enlargement of adenoids.

An evaluation by ENT doctor can help you identify the exact reason for your symptoms.

In most cases of OSA, surgery is not required. It is treated with CPAP machine, which provides oxygen during sleeping time.

If any obstructive pathology is found or if CPAP does not work, surgery may be required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
I've tried a CPAP but after initial success I seemed to be swallowing air and suffered extreme discomfort, stomach cramps included. I have an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat specialist in January but had wondered if estrogen would be of benefit as I also have urological problems dating from the onset of snoring, breathlessness, a raise in blood cholesterol, and the fracture of a tibia and a femur. These problems developed when I ceased transdermal HRT in 2007 following 14 years. Coincidence?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

If CPAP has failed, then, surgical treatment would definitely be an option. The consultation with the ENT doctor would be useful in that aspect.

Low levels of estrogen are linked with osteoporosis and fracture. Some studies also point out a higher risk of heart attack and brain stroke in post-menopausal women, who do not take HRT. However, the linkage with snoring has not been proven.

However, if your doctor feels that you would benefit with HRT, it may be re-started.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM