Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Planning for a child. Is there any cure for blighted ovum?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
This is about our family planning. We are married since December 2010. After starting planning in the beginning of 2012, she conceived in February 2012. After consulting gyneocologist, and following two USGs Blighted Ovum was found. Following which D & C was done in March 2012. TORCH test was also done but it could not provide any meaningful answer. We started planning again from September 2012 and she again conceived in January 2013. But this time also Blighted Ovum is found. Doctor has suggested for D & C again.

I am 32+ and my wife is 29+. We are both physically fit and normal tests are all alright for both of us. We are both working in a Govt office.

We are depressed for such incidents and looking for reasons of blighted Ovum. Please inform us whether this is curable or not. We would like to know which tests/investigations we should go through and what are the cures avilable for blighted ovum before planning again. We want to have a successful pregnancy.

As we stay in Assam, we want to know where other in India such treatments/investigations are performed where we can go and get treatment. Any hospital name/doctor name might be suggested to us also.

Looking for your reply.

Thanking you.

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, I want to tell you something about blighted ovum. It is one type of miscarriage where the baby stops developing or growing in very early stage of pregnancy but gestational sac continues to develop.

It occurs mostly due to chromosomal abnormalities or genetic cause in the fertilized egg. There is as such no evidence that blighted ovum depends on activity of pregnant women in early week.

Blighted ovum is not a disease that can be treated or cured permanently. It is an unpredictable sign for future result of miscarriage (mostly missed abortion). It can be prevented by following ways.

1) Before planning next pregnancy, you need to undergo several investigations to rule out causes of recurrent miscarriage, particularly in first trimester. These include Blood gr & Rh typing both of you (to check Rh incompatibility), thyroid profile, Blood sugar (PPBS), Test for chromosomal abnormality (like trisomy or monosomy), Progesterone level assay on Day 21 of cycle to detect luteal phase defect (LPD) etc.

2) Intake of Folic acid & Vit-E supplements for at least 3 months in preconception period is very much helpful.

3) Taking proper medication depending on test result. She may need to take progesterone supplements with thyroid medication in case of abnormal value.

4) Maintain healthy life style by the means of
a) Taking healthy protein XXXXXXX diet only with avoidance of fatty/ salty/ junk foods.
b) Drinking more water/ juice and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables/ fruits.
c) Regular physical exercise (jogging/ running) for better systemic circulation and controlling body weight.
d) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing/ yoga & maintain personal hygiene.

In addition, there may be chance of misdiagnosis of blighted ovum with slight scope of existing pregnancy. In such cases, it should be confirmed by serial monitoring of blood HCG level & repeated Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan).

Above mentioned tests are very much common and done in almost all state or major city of India. Only thing, tests are needed to be done from well renowned laboratory to avoid basic error in value.

You may contact with our customer care support team directly for hospital name or doctors.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and always hope positively.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Planning for a child. Is there any cure for blighted ovum? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Like you said that blighted ovum is mostly for genetic or chromosomal disorders. If the tests that you have mentioned finds out any defect in chromosal defect, then does it mean that it can't be prevented?

Is it possible that, the two times of B/O was caused by weak sperm or egg as said by some websites will not repeat again?

Semen analysis or sperm test is required or not?

The diffrent tests mentioned by you will be enough or we will need more tests? Please give us a idea about the expenses that might be incurred performing these tests.

Thanking you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

First of all, test for chromosomal abnormality can only be done in case of recurrent miscarriage (more than 2/ 3 times). It is much expensive and tissue sample is to be collected & preserved in right way after D & C procedure. Common chromosomal abnormalities are trisomy (41% cases), triploidy or monosomy etc. Most of them are due to errors in cell division of the sperm or egg during fertilization and most of the time they will not recur in future pregnancies.

On the other hand, abnormal sperm or egg can be a potent cause of chromosomal abnormalities. You can undergo for chromosomal analysis of both sperm or egg in IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) process of pregnancy. But it is also much expensive and rule out the causes only.

In addition, you should know that there is no treatment option to prevent chromosomal abnormalities in the embryo. But it can be alleviated by some healthy measures that I have already mentioned in my previous reply. She needs to follow them strictly.

The investigations that I have mentioned, are very much basic one and less expensive. You must complete those tests before planning to next pregnancy. She may need to take proper medication in case of abnormal test reports.

Following test reports, you need to contact with gynecologist for next line of management.

You can directly consult with me, by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of her and just focus on the necessary investigations.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor